Programme objectives 2012/13
The overall objective of the Nelson Mandela Centre Memory during the 2012/13 financial year will be to enhance the Centre’s strategic presence locally and internationally.
Strategic Objectives: Memory Programming:
- Completing the digitisation of the paper-based collections.
- In partnership with the National Library to ensure the deacidification of all paper-based materials.
- Completing the metadata capture for at least half of the digitised content.
- Finalising a comprehensive and integrated guide to all NMCM archival holdings.
- Acquiring and creating an inventory of the 46664 archive.
- Supporting the 107 Central Street refurbishment.
- Overseeing content development for the Centre ‘windows’ at the Apartheid Museum, the Cape Town City Hall and the Museum for African Art in New York.
- Providing an integrated research and analysis capacity supporting all Outreach projects and providing a public authentication service for any external Mandela-related project.
- Ensuring full compliance with institutional records management systems.
Strategic Objectives: Communications and Outreach Programme:
- Overseeing the development of the Nelson Mandela Portal as the hub of the NMCM’s web-based information system. A new website interface and the Nelson Mandela Digital Archive delivery platform powered by the Google Cultural Institute will be launched.
- Integrating digitisation and social media platforms around the website.
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy, including new branding, to ensure that the NMCM’s vision and mission is understood by a wide variety of audiences.
- Overseeing the publication of a new edition of the Authorised Comic Book.
- Managing the 10th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture.
- Running a series of policy dialogues on access to information.
- A dialogue forum around the ANC Centenary celebrations will be convened in July in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Museum, Mthata in July.
- Overseeing all Centre travelling exhibitions and launching at least two new exhibitions.
- Driving NMCM support for the Mandela Day campaign.